04 August 2012

Taking the plunge

I am watching the 4 x 100m men's final of the London Olympics while writing this - hence the slightly hackneyed title. I have decided to practise what I've been advocating on the TEACH! Conference page at http://www.facebook.com/TeachConference after being encouraged by this post by Tom Whitby: http://tomwhitby.wordpress.com/2012/08/03/whats-the-big-deal-about-blogging/

So, this will be a blog mostly about education. My views on education, more specifically. I came to teaching by accident after doing a number of other jobs - ranging from driving trucks, to banking, to managing my own restaurant and guest house. I am currently employed at a very good, traditional independent boarding school in South Africa. I am both a teacher and an administrator. For the past two years I have organised the TEACH! Conference. This has necessitated me doing a lot of reading and research on current issues in education - an experience that I have found both exhilirating and frustrating. It has made me acutely aware of the wonderful work that so many teachers are doing despite the obstacles placed in their way by incompetent administrators, lack of funds, lack of status and hare-brained policies. It has also made me aware of the exciting new developments in education that many of us in the profession are missing out on because of being overworked, disconnected or apathetic - all three reasons that can and should be addressed. It has also made me aware of a lot of hype around some of the exciting new developments that might not survive proper scrutiny in the classroom.

These views are my own. You are welcome to differ or agree vociferously. 

No comments:

Post a Comment